SQUAD: Quick Start Guide for new players

Forums Games Squad SQUAD: Quick Start Guide for new players

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  [S7]Hablos 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Profile Photo

SQUAD: Quick Start Guide for new players

GAMEPLAY TIPS
Loading screen image with all the controls etc.
d

SPAWNING There are 3 ways to spawn in Squad, Main Spawn, FOB and Rally Point. 2 latter ones are placed by the players. This means some players need to sort them out while others get straight to the fight. This might mean you have to sometimes wait a few minutes before you’re needed to spawn at the start of the round so please listen to your Squad Leader before you spawn in at Main. Don’t spawn at round start unless asked to – This is a purely logistic issue/choice from the Squad Leaders on how many vehicles they want to use. Some simply won’t have a place to sit. When you’re in the middle of it, keep listening to your Squad Leader for directions on spawning. Sometimes you might me asked to hold your spawn (=not spawn) for some time to synch up your squad and spawn together at a different location. Be patient, you’ll get to the fight sooner or later.

PROTIP: Rally Points are squad specific spawns with 10 spawns until it runs out. Try to always leave the last spawn for your Squad leader so he can place a new one!

DYING Squad has quite long spawn timers to reward kills and decrease the clown-car effect of spawning, making each player’s life more valuable than in other games. You should ALWAYS stay in the downed state from 30 seconds to a minute because you won’t be able to spawn any quicker anyway and that gives your medics a chance to pick you up and save that precious ticket.

SPOTTING ENEMIES It can be extremely hard to pinpoint enemies in your first games as you have no idea where they’re coming from so listen carefully to your squad calling them out and possibly them being marked on the map. Remember that the map markers for enemies are placed manually by Squad Leaders and are not 100% accurate. To spot them yourself, think of a logical way they should be coming from and stop for a while and observe, any movement is easier to pick up when you’re standing still yourself. Getting this right takes time and patience, don’t be frustrated if you get the feeling that the “trees are shooting you”. Use your compass at the bottom of the screen to call the enemy locations with directions like “Enemy infantry North West, 200 meters (estimation), multiple”.

VEHICLES In Squad vehicles are extremely important to the outcome of the fight. Each vehicle has a ticket cost associated with them that your team loses upon losing the vehicle. For any of the bigger vehicles, APCs and Humvees etc. the cost is very high so you should treat them with respect and try to keep them safe at all times and only engage when you think you have the advantage. They are not tanks and driving one into a town with enemies will lead into its swift destruction. Each vehicle has to be claimed by a Squad Leader to be used by their squad either by the Squad Leader entering the vehicle or remotely by having 2 squad members next to the vehicle and the Squad Leader claiming it from his radial menu.

PROTIP: E to start the engine

WHAT FUCKING TICKETS? Tickets are the way the winner of a match is determined in Squad, typically both teams start with 500 tickets in AAS mode and the one to run out first loses. Each player “life” is worth 1 ticket, Vehicles anywhere between 2 to 35 tickets depending on the vehicle. FOBs (the big spawn points) are worth 20 tickets. The Objectives have a varying cost on them as well depending on the map layer. Capturing a neutral flag doesn’t cost the enemy tickets but taking one that the enemy is controlling decreases the enemy tickets and even gives some back to your team. Controlling the majority of flags on the map also makes the enemy team “bleed” tickets = lose tickets over time.

TEAMKILLING Teamkilling is heavily frowned upon by the community and intentional TKs can and will get you banned from many servers. Accidents happen and it’s normal to occasionally mistake a friend to a foe – just remember to apologize and it’s usually fine! It’s an intense game, tempers will rise, but try to find a way to solve the situation that is not TKing anyone. The playerbase is very mature compared to other shooter games, unbelievable but true, you can actually talk to people usually. TKing – Don’t do it. Trust me on this.

Recommened servers:
EXODUS (Some of them know the MG tags and a bunch of us got reserved slots on it. TIP: They give you reserved slot / whitelist permission if you have +100 hours of Squad)
QFF (very friendly people)
Mumblerines (some serious teamplay on this most of the time)
✪✪✪ SQUAD EUROPE ✪✪✪ @GAMERZHOST.DE (good for Remi’s ping)

I did not write this. I got it from here. There is some more tips in it: https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/6itnhr/quick_start_guide_for_new_players/

Profile Photo

Reply To: SQUAD: Quick Start Guide for new players

Good write up, if i had to use that key layout though i may go slightly insane 😀

Might buy it at some point, i just ‘don’t fancy’ it for some reason.

Profile Photo

@crit Now now, don’t make excuses. Keyboard is the same as the Battlefield games. 😛 Squadleader is the only one using “T” and you got a extra VOIP key, but then with those it’s basically BF2/2142 keyboard layout.

As a BF4 player it is fairly easy to use.

Profile Photo

@crit Now now, don’t make excuses. Keyboard is the same as the Battlefield games. 😛 Squadleader is the only one using “T” and you got a extra VOIP key, but then with those it’s basically BF2/2142 keyboard layout.
As a BF4 player it is fairly easy to use.

I don’t use WASD, takes me 15 mins in any game to change almost every key 😀

Profile Photo

Considering most people shouldn’t be squadleading the first ten hours anyway, you can just map what you do for the BF games and leave the rest for when/if you end up as an elite squad leader kind of guy though.

That said, Squad didn’t aim for the magic 20-30 minute round mark, so if you play 2-4 rounds of BF each time you play, expect to play a lot of half-matches on either end of your “sessions”. I’d say the average Squad game is about 50-ish minutes, but it can easily go half an hour or more over that.

The game is decently discounted now though, and when v10 comes out in the not too far off future, it’ll have about the level of polish I expect it to ever achieve. The update handles the movement system, so the game should feel a lot less year 2000.

Profile Photo

Your post just pushed me a little farther into the don’t fancy it camp.

50 minute rounds are a tad long with two young kids rocking about the house 😀

I will still keep my eye on it for a while though, see how it looks in 6 months or so.

Thank you for sharing us this, I learned some interesting things

Profile Photo

Your post just pushed me a little farther into the don’t fancy it camp.
50 minute rounds are a tad long with two young kids rocking about the house 😀
I will still keep my eye on it for a while though, see how it looks in 6 months or so.

Always happy to help 😉

There will be a few more land vehicles, and there’s talk of helicopters entering the game at some point, but I’m not sure if that’s just trolling or not. Either way, I wouldn’t expect any major changes in pacing or feel. If helicopters speed up transport in and out enough, I’m sure they’ll nerf rallies to counter it. I would guess they’re pretty happy about round length and level of “campiness” as it is.

RIP is also very good server with a nice and easy going community. Always been my go-to server.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.