Ok so I’ve watched it yestarday and I have very mixed feelings, leaning towards “not recommended”, I’m not a huge comic-book reader but I know a thing or two. From the good parts that I can name:
– Ben Affleck as Batman and Jeremy Irons as Alfred, it’s really a matter of how strict you’re with Batman but for me he was portrayed very well and their scenes are really shining throughout the movie BUT people might not like Batman killing folks, and yes he shoots and blows people up without really thinking about it. And then he’s trying to tell Superman what’s the right thing to do (and Superman didn’t kill anyone intentionally/with premeditation)
– Wonder Woman was pretty good, I was expecting here to be the weakest part but surprisingly she held up pretty good
And that’s all of the good parts, now the bad parts:
– Lex Luthor or Jesse “god fucking damn it” Eisenberg, that god awful attempt at portraying one of the most important characters in DC. He was more like a Joker than Luthor, and not only that, he was a really bad idea of what Joker sounds and acts like. I can’t emphasise enough how fucking horrible Eisenberg is not only as Luthor but as an actor in general. He played phenomenal (for his abilities) in Zombieland but after Social Network he kinda started playing everything on the same note just…stronger and stronger with every movie, with BvS being the grand finale of shitfest. If anyone has seen Kingpin in netflix Daredevil – he’s the perfect Luthor (minus the weight), his manierism, he’s cold blooded stare, he’s etiquette, he’s just perfect.
– Zack Snyder clearly doesn’t understand the universe or the characters. He might be good at filming simple stories like 300 or even all dark setting Watchmen (I’m still not sure how he did pull off Watchmen) but now he’s just ruining DC Universe by doing the same thing for every hero. He uses the same template for Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and he’s gonna do it for the rest of Justice League where every one of the members is a different, complex characters with their own motivations and goals. I’m really afraid how they gonna create The Flash because Snyder already said he’s going for a dark setting which is exact opposite of what The Flash is. The Flash pick itself can be big miss more than big pick, I just can’t see him work, I can’t imagine Flash having long hair, he’s not gonna fit it under his cowl, and Flash wearing a mask like Green Arrow? That just can’t work (if they’re going to use Kid Flash costume I will go ballistic), the only reassurance is that they have pretty good writers for that, but still I feel like Snyder will smear his filthy fingers all over that movie, but that’s enough of that
– The story in BvS just dosn’t make sense, not only the movie is cut in such a way nothing really holds up together, the scenes seem so randomly cut and pasted but the ending is just fucking horrible. The could play “kill Superman” card once and they played it when nobody gives a shit about Superman. BvS was more about Batman that it was about Superman (I’d say 40% screen time was Batman, 40% Luthor + Lois and 20% Superman) so when they killed him at the end it didn’t really mattered for anyone, “he just died, fuck him he destroyed Metropolis twice, I’m glad Batman is alive”. They should keep that card for future movies, when they establish Superman as the guy who always does the right thing, and he’s respected by everyone and loved then he should be killed making his death meaningful because now he’s just dead. And surprise, suprise, he’s not even dead because they ressurected him immidiately which makes the whole thing just pointless and now they can’t kill him again because nobody will give a shit “Oh they will just ressurect them again”.
For people who are there just for the show, just to watch shit explode and people punching other in the face BvS might be the thing but for the people in for the “lore” this movie is a shitshow and I might care about future movies IF I knew Lex Luthor/Eisenberg won’t ever show his fucking face again but sadly, that’s not the case so I will avoid DC movies with him. Thank god Flash has nothing to do with him (or at least he shouldn’t, who the fuck knows what Snyder has up his sleeves)