Discord Server

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Remi 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Reply To: Discord Server

Discord is very cool, you can also use your mobile to connect to it πŸ˜‰

And it more popular now than any of the other servers (mumble/ts/irc)

Profile Photo

also, if you have problems with games & discord, first good thing to try is to turn off Discord’s in-game ui thingy πŸ˜‰

Profile Photo

noty

What I am wondering though – it’s completely free but not open source, it is run by a company. So how do they pay their bills? Is our data sold like on Facebook? If yes then hell no, if no what is their business plan?

Privacy policy

They were funded in Silicon Valley (so lot’s of money) and they plan to sell premium skins etc. in the future. Probably displaying some ads also. Sponsor deals etc. etc.
I’m the guy wearing tinfoil hat but it’s ok with me. If you want privacy then use email+pgp.

Profile Photo

Data marketing is most likely going to get around us all anyway at some point, if it’s not already.. I mean, unless you are gonna have a lawsuit on them, you can either hide under a rock or just simply accept it. I’m not saying it wouldn’t be questionable.. unfair, but I just think there would have been big complaints already if it had been horri-bad.

And it more popular now than any of the other servers (mumble/ts/irc)

All Discord fans push it so aggressively ^_^

What I am wondering though – it’s completely free but not open source, it is run by a company. So how do they pay their bills? Is our data sold like on Facebook? If yes then hell no, if no what is their business plan?

Same here. Still waiting when advertisement will start playing in a middle of conversation.

And Remi what will happen with current TS/Mumble servers? It already almost dead 99% of time and another service just split audience even more.

Profile Photo

All Discord fans push it so aggressively ^_^

Because it’s good!

Are you behind good VPN? I’m just curious

Profile Photo

And Remi what will happen with current TS/Mumble servers? It already almost dead 99% of time and another service just split audience even more.

Personally I don’t use any of them, but mumble is just hosted by an MG, isn’t it? If it doesn’t cost anything, is there any point in taking it down?

I might hop on discord eventually, if the death of the irc channel causes any withdrawal symptoms.

Profile Photo

TS will likely die and mumble will stay. Mumble is paid for 1 year already.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.