DIY NAS / (Freenas System)

Forums General Discussion Hardware & Software Discussion DIY NAS / (Freenas System)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  NL-WARFACE 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Profile Photo

DIY NAS / (Freenas System)

So today i bought myself a NAS system what im building up from parts =)
Gonna use Freenas as OS system based on linux

FreeNAS is an operating system that can be installed on virtually any hardware platform to share data over a network. FreeNAS is the simplest way to create a centralized and easily accessible place for your data. Use FreeNAS with ZFS to protect, store, backup, all of your data. FreeNAS is used everywhere, for the home, small business, and the enterprise.

Hardware recommended 1GB RAM for 1TB

Ram : 4x Crusial DDR3 8 GB – 1600 MHz ECC
Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X10SL7-F
Case: Fractal Design Node 804
USB Stick: SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB 2x (mirroring the freenas system on both if 1 is failing)
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231V3
PSU: Seasonic G-450
HDD: 8 x Western Digital 4TB total of 32TB

Reply To: DIY NAS / (Freenas System)

I started my little server with FreeNAS aswell but I soon switched over to Ubuntu Server as it is way more flexible and you can easily do all the stuff FreeNAS can and a lot more. There are step by step explanations for nearly everything so don’t be afraid of bash πŸ™‚ Also with that much RAM you might want to consider running multiple virtual servers depending on what you want to achieve.

@NL-WARFACE: Great hardware. I was running my setup using HP RP5700 SFF desktop πŸ˜› You want to configure the drives in RAID-Z2/3?

@Markus: FreeNAS has this big advantage called ZFS. You can use it on linux but it’s not ready yet. And because FreeNAS is basically FreeBSD you can install a lot of additional software. You could even try to run linux kernel inside of jail.

Profile Photo

@NL-WARFACE: Great hardware. I was running my setup using HP RP5700 SFF desktop ? You want to configure the drives in RAID-Z2/3?

I go for RAID-Z2,

I started my little server with FreeNAS aswell but I soon switched over to Ubuntu Server as it is way more flexible and you can easily do all the stuff FreeNAS can and a lot more. There are step by step explanations for nearly everything so don’t be afraid of bash :) Also with that much RAM you might want to consider running multiple virtual servers depending on what you want to achieve.

Never did virtual servers, whats does it? can u tell me a bit more for what i sould use it =)

Profile Photo

I ordered all the parts. Hope I get it this Saturday =)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.