Love and clean your graphics card

Forums General Discussion Hardware & Software Discussion Love and clean your graphics card

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

Love and clean your graphics card

The reason I post this is becouse I learnt that graphics card do need some cleaning once in a while. Cleaning of my gtx 660Ti made it 8 degrees cooler while playing bf4. The cards is making less noise aswell. From what I have read some cards will gain power as they cut it in higher temperatures. All cards will gain longetivity if cleaned properly.

I visited a friend two days ago, we are not IT technitians or anything, just advanced users with brains 😉 We cleaned his Radeon r280x and mine 660Ti. The process is not very difficult but one should pay attention and be careful.

What actually needs to be done is : 1. dusting the radiators 2. replacing the thermopads 3. cleaning the old and applying new thermal paste. 4. You can also apply some WD-40 to the fan engine.
There advanced tutorials in the net (will post links below), If needed I will describe the process, but my main point is that You can and probably should do it ! The old thermal paste is the only item that moves the heat from your GPU to the radiator. With time it losses its capacity, becomes hard and basically stops doing its job. Same story with thermopads, the diffrence is thay are not liquid and they lay on RAM. Dust in the radiator is obviously harmful aswell.

If you are interested there are some tutorials :
http://www.overclock.net/t/344600/guide-cleaning-and-reseating-your-graphics-card

Be brave and love you GPU <3

xaxa

Reply To: Love and clean your graphics card

Nice m8!

I’ve been doing this for yeas as well. It really can be worth it once a year or two. ALTHOUGH you might lose your warranty depending on which brand you have!

BTW especially blower style coolers can collect a lot of dust where you can’t reach it without taking the whole card apart. I saved my old gtx 680 by cleaning it. Now it’s almost as good as new and doing a good job in my little brothers rig 😀

Profile Photo

my aircompressor does is work in my old computer its a dust catcher xD, my new computer with the H440 case no dust at all!

Profile Photo

I guess this applies to every component on your pc really. I once tried cleaning the cpu heatsink but afterwards the fan started to make annoying noise. 😀 Maybe I should change the thermal paste on it tho, it’s been installed good 7 years ago.

I would be so afraid to do that..

So this happened. Please note, this was in the morning after having the computer turned off over night. And the fans were spinning for over 10 minutes (after that I just turned it on). Anyone have an idea why?

@tigerfliege
Werid! My thought is that some other cable most backfeed some power back into the system?
What have you plugged into your motherboard and graphics card?

The only explanation I have is that the monitor, which is connected to the graphics card is providing power (it can neither be LAN cable, nor any peripheral devices). But why is the monitor powering the graphics card? What I find interesting is that it wasn’t just right after I turned it off, but rather about 10 hours later. This means the fans have been running all night or what? Also, after this incident it never happened again.

The devil!

Id only apply WD40 to the fan if it was making noise and on its last legs. It can mess up ball bearings really badly. I dont even put it near my bike as it can ruin the bearings in your bike wheels.

One way to keep your insides clean is to make sure you have filters covering the fans and vents around your PC.

I clean these once a month which takes 5 minutes and it keeps all the dust out. They cost about 1.99 for 5 on ebay. Just make sure they say dust proof.

wd40 or any other type of oil will work great for a short period. then it will mix with dust and you will have a sludge effect, not great.

wd40 or any other type of oil will work great for a short period. then it will mix with dust and you will have a sludge effect, not great.

^ this. wd 40 actually stands for water displacement formula 40. It was developed as a water repelant, not for lubrication. Other oils work much better for that task and also keep the dirt away much better. But you shouldn’t apply it to your fans anyway as long as they are working fine.

Also I wouldn’t recommend changing thermal paste on your coolers if there is no overheating problem that can be related to that. If you are not experienced doing it you can cause more harm than good. Removing the dust should usually be enough in my experience.

Profile Photo

^ this. wd 40 actually stands for water displacement formula 40. It was developed as a water repelant, not for lubrication. Other oils work much better for that task and also keep the dirt away much better. But you shouldn’t apply it to your fans anyway as long as they are working fine.

Also I wouldn’t recommend changing thermal paste on your coolers if there is no overheating problem that can be related to that. If you are not experienced doing it you can cause more harm than good. Removing the dust should usually be enough in my experience.

i did new termal paste on my 390x heat reduced with almost 10 degrees 😉

@Tigerfliege: The only other thing which comes to my mind is that the motherboard battery may have provided the power but would that be enough for ~10 hours? Otherwise, yeah it may be possessed.

@herrakettu I don’t think it would be enough for such a long time. And the fans were not spinning “just a bit”, you could actually hear it. Maybe the display port cable from the monitor (which is plugged into the graphics card directly) was providing power? As far as I know it is not supposed to do that though. All in all very weird. I would like to test it, but I haven’t managed to reproduce the situation…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.