Need help buying a new Graphics card

Forums General Discussion Hardware & Software Discussion Need help buying a new Graphics card

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Damon 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Profile Photo

Need help buying a new Graphics card

Hey guys!! Im in big problem im about to buy a new graphics card for my gaming pc but im not sure which one to buy ?
My Budget is 300$-320$
I only play bf4 so i wanted a Graphics card that can run bf 4 at 100+ fps .

My rig

Intel i5 4th gen
8 GB ram
500 W psu

Reply To: Need help buying a new Graphics card

Somewhere juli/augustus, cards with totally new chipsets are coming out. Ima gonne wait for that 😉

Profile Photo

for that price, you have only two viable options, GTX 970 and Radeon 390.
I have 970, and i am quite happy with it, can’t say anything about Radeon.

comparison here : http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-390-vs-GeForce-GTX-970

with 500w power i would go for 970.
You can also reach that fps-level with GTX 960 for about 200$

Profile Photo

Oh thanks alot aalio. Im thinking to get 970 as well as i perefer Nvidia cards . ?

Profile Photo

If you can wait a few months some new cards will be released.

Either way a GTX 970 or a R9 390 is pretty equal in performance, so get what ever you feel most comfortable with / cheapest.

I’ve had the 970, 980 and the 390 and the 390 I’ve got now is the best of the bunch. I get more FPS in BF4 than both of the Nvidia’s. I like shadowplay but Plays.tv for AMD is actually really good and the new Crimson software for the card is much better than previous offerings. The big difference for me is the frame drops. I get less of them through 390 than the other two. You can sometimes get a better peak on the 980 but they also drop a lot as well.

If I was you though I’d wait until later this year and get the ones coming out but if not then also consider DX12. At the moment all of the Nvidia card are shite on it and AMD has a BIG lead over them. It’s early days though and Nvidia may improve but I doubt they will catch AMD until the next cards come out.

You can also pick up the 390 for £220 and with the 970 £30 more expensive.

Profile Photo

Thank You Remi and John sorry for the late reply . saw the replies though 🙂

and yes i prefer the Nvidia cards so i think i will go with Zotac GTX970 4GB .
gonna get it this month 🙂

Profile Photo

Don’t use neither GPUBoss or CPUBoss, their benchmarks are biased towards Nvidia and Intel respectively. Check anandtech’s bench section if you want actually reliable data.

Anyhow, back to the matter itself, 970 would be a safer choice because of lower power consumption (25W-35W difference). 390 slightly outperforms it, has much more VRAM and as we’re seeing already, some of the most recent games started to actually utilize >3GB VRAM. Also there’s the 3.5 GB VRAM thing with 970s. And AMD cards support Mantle which could improve your performance in BF4 even more (assuming your CPU is powerful enough).

Orrrrrr you could wait for few months and see if AMD’s 400 series brings something interesting to the table.

Profile Photo

Oh thank u Lauri ? .
Yes ur absolutely right im going with 970 because it use less power . And im on very tight budget and cannot upgrade Psu and gpu both at the same time. 2 of my friends have it and they performance of that card is good .

As mentioned i only play bf4 and hopefully bf5 ( when it is out ) ?

Thank You

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.