New headset, tips?

This topic contains 58 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  JurijPietrowicz 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
Profile Photo

Reply To: New headset, tips?

You are right to go down the studio monitor route remi, much better performance for the price!
I have a bit of an obsession with headphones, I keep buying unnecessary pairs of cans and gifting them to family and friends. I’ve got the 681 among others, very good soundstage for positional audio, footsteps etc. They are a little harsh on the treble, nothing a little EQ won’t solve.
I use this mic,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-ZM-MIC1-ZMMIC1-Lapel-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395039501&sr=8-1&keywords=zalman+zm-mic1
It seems ok but I don’t have to listen to myself.

Profile Photo

d
http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd681.htm
So got the Superlux HD681 last week and I am very surprised about the depth and soundspace it creates. Nothing like any of my previous gaming headsets. Alot of depth and feels easier to spot the direction of sound in-game. Music sounds amazing, noticed new sounds in some of the classical works by Glass.

The only annoying thing is that treble is quite, so when shooting in BF4 the sound can get almost to crisped and harsh for your ears.
Comfort is also very good and the headset is very sturdy and safe. Compared to my previous Steelseries, this one feels like it will never break.

For 20 EUR, I don’t see anything that beats it at all.

Next thing is the microphone. I totally dismantle my old Steelseries and after that the microfon works fine. But some of the wires are “naked” and I need to figure out a way to attach it to the headphones, maybe some velcro.
d

I might be too lazy and just buy the cheap ZALMAN clip-on MIC.

Profile Photo

Considering how cheap the Zalman mic is, it just might be cheaper to buy it, instead of modding the SS mic.

Profile Photo

You tried the Superlux HD 631, Foy?

Currently visiting family and my littlesister keeps using my HD681, tells me they are great for her (shit) music and youtube, so might just give them to her.

Still have the Zalman mic, but kinda interested in these, with built-in mic: http://www.thomann.de/dk/superlux_hmc_631_grey.htm

Profile Photo

I haven’t tried the hmc 631 or the non mic hd 631 but I do own the headphones that they are loosely based on, the Sony mdr-v6. They are closed back so not as good a soundstage or positional audio for gaming I’m afraid. Closed back headphones do have better bass punch though If you like that kind of thing, I find it a little fatiguing on long gaming sessions.
The superlux hmc 681 evo should be out later this year, a revision of the hd 681 with the attached mic. I use the Zalman clip on too and the extra cable is annoying but It might be better to wait and buy your litte sis these in the short term ;

http://www.thomann.de/dk/superlux_hd_661_pink.htm

Profile Photo

I traded my HD681 for my littlesisters purple Steelseries Siberia V2 (lol). The Siberia are very comfy, but the sound is very “plastic” and empty. The mic works fine and easier to use.. Actually ripped off my sister, basically 15 EUR vs 50 EUR, whups, hehehe… But she is very happy with them. I’ll probably buy a new HD681 for myself.

Now a new problem happened – there is a jack extender for the Steelseries, so it will be 3 meters instead of just 1 meter. But the extender makes the sound into mono and not stereo. Without extender the sound is in stereo…WTF – 50 EUR headset… So I’m gonna buy a new jack extender cheap tomorrow. Otherwise I have to play under the table to get stereo… Hmmm.

Profile Photo

Big purple steelies, nice! At least no one will see you wearing them =]

That jack extender sounds weird, I know you can make headphones mono by not plugging the lead in all the way but I’m sure you’ve checked that.

I’ve been mulling over buying this mic;

http://www.thomann.de/gb/samson_go_mic.htm

Then I can be free of the crappy Zalman.

I’ve got the Gamecom 780. I got them cheap and you can pick them up for around £25 in some places.

7.1 surround sound with different settings you can use and I got a free game!

Seriously comfortable, great sound and not had a reason to upgrade. A bit heavy but thats about it. I’ve had them a year so far and they are just like new.

I have a Creative Tactic3D Alpha and I really like it too. When a plane flies above me, always scary :).

Profile Photo

I got the Logitech G930 its wireless

Hear the game the way the developer intended. Dolby 7.1 sound output appears to surround you as if it’s coming from all possible directions.

Control in-game elements with one-touch. G-keys are conveniently located on the left ear cup.
Music, voice morphing and more.
Customize G-keys with easy-to-use Logitech Gaming Software.*

Play for up to 10 hours on one charge.*

Be heard loud and clear without the distraction of background noise. The mic picks up only your voice.

Rotate the mic boom up and out of the way to mute. A red indicator reminds you that you are muted.

Profile Photo

I have upgraded my setup to pioneer SE A1000 headphones and a blue snowball mic on a studio boom arm. I couldn’t be happier, the headphones have a 6m braided cable which means I can make it all the way to the kitchen without unplugging.
Bliss.

Profile Photo

Careful with those Gamecoms, DTA! They were my first headset; they were comfortable and had good sound although there was barely any noise cancellation to the outside.
After a while a white strain mark started to appear on the headband plastic just above the right ear-cup and then one day I went to take them off and the right cup snapped off! No amount of duct-tape could hold it in place well enough again.
So be gentle!!

I bought a Corsair Vengeance 1500 as a replacement, it sounds fine and the mic is good. But it’s VERY uncomfortable after about half an hour, it makes my head ache like it’s squeezing it or something. Also the mute button on the cord is crap and broke very quickly, lost its click and the other day it got stuck on mute! (So nobody buy the Corsair 1500!)

Profile Photo

(◡ ‿ ◡ ✿)

d

Love the colour! 😀

I currently have the AKG K550 Headphones. Really perfect headphones (personal opinion but also excellent reviews) but for a price and they don’t pronounce the low frequencies much so if someone likes that they may be happier with something else.

The mic i currently use is the av-jefe tcm141 but since everyone says they can not understand me i would not recommend it (considering that they are also not the cheapest this is really disappointing). The mod mic seems an interesting replacement.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.