Ni !

This topic contains 46 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Dag 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

Reply To: Ni !

What I would focus on:

-New 1920×1080, less than 5ms respons time, 120 or 144hz and 24″ or 27″
Switching from 60hz to 144hz is the best upgrade I’ve ever done. It’ll make FPS games such a joy 😀

-New SSD 250gb or more
This will make you save time and I mean A LOT of time. As Tiger says cuts the loading times in half in most games and your pc overall will be more responsive.
I bought a 250gb ssd to begin with but it wasn’t really enough for me. You could buy a HDD to store all your other files. Just a 3.5″ 500gb or 1tb HDD at 7200rpm (anything less than 7200 is painfully slow)

-New GPU: nVidia GTX 1060 or a RX 480
I would go for the mid to low end GPU since you’re playing in 1080p and your CPU is probably not fast enough to keep up with a 1070 or higher.
And yes the the RX 480 is consuming little power but it’s also throttling and can’t even maintain stock clocks because of the low power target. If you decides to get it then go for an after marked cooled version. The reference cooler is very bad at cooling and also loud. The great thing I can say about the 480 is the good support for DX12/async compute and the low price OFC 😛

BTW talking about RAM. I would not get more than 8gb as it’s not really worth it in games. Just get 8gb, 1600Mhz or higher and go for a low CL number. I have tested with 16gb ram myself and it made little to no impact on my fps in games. See for yourself: http://www.techspot.com/article/1043-8gb-vs-16gb-ram/page3.html

What is the difference you can notice in 60hz vs 144hz?

The server updates at a certain frequency.. That is the tic rate. with every tic all actions on the server are calculated and sent out to the clients.

Profile Photo

Didn’t he meant the hertzes for the screen?
With higher refresh rates everything is smoother. It’s hard to describe without seeing this.

With a 144hz you see more than 60FPS. It runs smoother as Kuzhov said. For example if you run a program that measures FPS and you getting over 60FPS you will only get 60FPS if your monitor is a 60hz. If you have a 120 or 144 then you can get up to 120 or 144FPS. The hz is how many times your screen refreshes every second.

Profile Photo

Hey guys, just to let you know: I bought a new Graphic card : MSI radeon RX 480 , a new 140 Htz monitor cause mine was old and close to end of life and a new SSD 500 Go.
The difference is huge, I wont be able to say why but everything is much smoother, faster and jsut better.

Thank you all for good advices.

Profile Photo

Nice, i did a lot of testing when got new display and concluded that blur reduction is not worth it.

Profile Photo

My body is tearing apart with envy.

Enjoy 🙂

Ni! nice new shrubbery! Ni!

Profile Photo

It’s a red no blue one! AAAAAAAAAÀAAH :p

Congratz! Welcome to the world of high fps and silky smooth gameplay 😀 BTW remember to go to graphics control panel and select 144hz. When I got mine it was at 60hz and I thought I was playing at 144hz for some days before releasing this (yes I’m a retard):P

@aalio so you’re saying that 144hz over 60hz isn’t worth it? 0_o blur reduction might not be as crazy as they make it out to be BUT input latency is reduced a lot! I’m using a setting on my screen called: “Ultra Low Motion Blur”. And it actually works very well.

Profile Photo

No no, i would not change 144hz for any price, only found out that after going through all setting combinations
its not worth it, since you have to do it at 120hz and its still way darker than normal mode. For me, best setup for BENQ
is no motionblur reduction, and lot of professional GSGO players are not using it.
Basically copied my settings from them, since i assumed that they had done extensive testing about that.

The way screen is now, its very bright an it has cool feat called black EQ, which makes almost all shadows disappear from BF.
Its a blessing for me since i cant read or drive a car without glasses, everything is very clear now.

What I would focus on:

-New 1920×1080, less than 5ms respons time, 120 or 144hz and 24″ or 27″<br>
Switching from 60hz to 144hz is the best upgrade I’ve ever done. It’ll make FPS games such a joy ?

-New SSD 250gb or more<br>
This will make you save time and I mean A LOT of time. As Tiger says cuts the loading times in half in most games and your pc overall will be more responsive.<br>
I bought a 250gb ssd to begin with but it wasn’t really enough for me. You could buy a HDD to store all your other files. Just a 3.5″ 500gb or 1tb HDD at 7200rpm (anything less than 7200 is painfully slow)

-New GPU: nVidia GTX 1060 or a RX 480<br>
I would go for the mid to low end GPU since you’re playing in 1080p and your CPU is probably not fast enough to keep up with a 1070 or higher.<br>
And yes the the RX 480 is consuming little power but it’s also throttling and can’t even maintain stock clocks because of the low power target. If you decides to get it then go for an after marked cooled version. The reference cooler is very bad at cooling and also loud. The great thing I can say about the 480 is the good support for DX12/async compute and the low price OFC ?

BTW talking about RAM. I would not get more than 8gb as it’s not really worth it in games. Just get 8gb, 1600Mhz or higher and go for a low CL number. I have tested with 16gb ram myself and it made little to no impact on my fps in games. See for yourself: http://www.techspot.com/article/1043-8gb-vs-16gb-ram/page3.html

Having never tried 120/144hz monitors for gaming, what is it you observe?

Do games suffer when they running below the refresh rate of the monitor?

I’m potentially in the market for upgrading from my 22″ Asus 1080P to something maybe like a 2k monitor

asd
Games suffer the same no matter 60Hz or 120/144/165Hz. If the game isn’t perfectly synced with refresh rate it may tear.
How much it tears depends from the game,framerates etc. Some people never notice it. Some people do.
The only solution for this is using either vsync (bad, adds latency) or G-Sync(Nvidia)/Freesync(AMD) monitor (better solution but expensive).

Is it worth it to buy high refresh rate monitor? Yes. It’s like using mechanical keyboard or buying ssd. Once you try you won’t go back.

I recommend TFTCentral for reviews, technical info etc.

Having never tried 120/144hz monitors for gaming, what is it you observe?

Do games suffer when they running below the refresh rate of the monitor?

I’m potentially in the market for upgrading from my 22″ Asus 1080P to something maybe like a 2k monitor

It would be best if you have a friend who is using such a monitor to try it out yourself before buying. What I can say from my experiences though: I was surprised that there is such a huge difference when I switched. Everything seems a lot smoother at 120Hz/144Hz. You get used to that smooth image pretty quickly, so even on the desktop when I move the mouse from my main 144Hz monitor over to the 60Hz monitor, the movement seems to be stuttering. That is nothing I ever noticed before, due to lack of comparison. Now that I know how the high refresh rates feel, I would never want to go back. (meanwhile console players are stuck at 30fps, maybe even 60fps if they are lucky) What you need to keep in mind is, that you need a powerful enough GPU to take advantage of it. If you are planning to upgrade that as well and you already get frame rates in the 120s, I would say it is a good investment.

When running below the refresh rate, you might experience screen tearing (as @jurijpietrowicz just pointed out). On my old 60Hz monitor I never experienced any screen tearing despite running below 60Hz, but your results may vary. My monitor has G-Sync, so no screen tearing. If you are on the red team, make sure to get a Freesync compatible monitor. If you are on the green team, only get a G-Sync monitor if you do not mind spending a little more, since a G-Sync module adds about 150€ to the price tag.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.