Raspberry Pi 3

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  NL-WARFACE 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

Raspberry Pi 3

Have been building my Raspberry Pi 3 with latest RetroPie distro, it’s really awesome!

Pi 3 now comes with bluetooth, wifi, 1.2ghz quad core cpu and a 1gb of ram, which for £30GBP is stupidly good value for money!

Great news is that the higher end emulation in RetroPie is now working well in most cases, with the SpecialFX SNES games running properly and most N64 games now working full speed after a little bit of tinkering! Dreamcast games are pushing things a bit too far, Raspberry Pi4 maybe for those! Anything else though is nigh on perfect!

So far I have the following running well: Atari 2600, 5400, 7800, Commodore C64 & Amiga, Apple 2, Sega SG1000, Game Gear, Master System, Megadrive, Dreamcast (but a little slow), Nintendo NES, SNES, GBA & N64, MAME 0.375b, Neo-GEO and PC Engine 🙂

Has to be said that RetroPie is a gift from the heavens, of course you can always play emulators on your PC, but RP just seems better and is so well produced now and has a super-slick frontend.

It’s now really simple to get into, back in the mk1 Pi days it was a lot of hard work, now its noob friendly stuff, so anyone can have fun regardless more of less of skill level.

Profile Photo

Reply To: Raspberry Pi 3

Send me one! 😀

🙂

It’s pretty cheap to sort out, Pi 3 and case with added heatsink delivered for £47.50, power supply (2amp micro usb) £4. decent memory card required as well 32gb class 10.

Send some money and yes, i’ll send you a working one 🙂

Profile Photo

would be a nice to have one beside ps3…who knows maybe ill make one up some day…

This is why you were after those crt screens?

Nope, the CRT is for use with the real retro hardware I have 🙂 With the real hardware you can’t tell it to output at a higher resolution, so the only way to make it look really nice is to go retro with the display and to be fair it still look way better than emulating at HD resolution.

The Pi is for playing the games at HD resolution and for lessening the amount of time I take the real deals out of their “investment” boxes, with the ability to output at a higher resolution over hdmi means I can shove that straight into the LED TV.

I thought I was seriously retro addicted, but then I joined a Facebook group for likeminded retro-fools and saw this guys setup!

Profile Photo

That’s insane lol

Nice gaming room. For a moment there i thought (or maybe hoped) it would be yours. 😉

About the RetroPie: How does that work really? Does the emulator come with the games or do you still need the cartridge to plug in somewhere? And in the first case how is that with the copyright issues? And does any controller work fine (eg xbox 360 controller) or do you need the original controller?

Maybe if the wife leaves me I will have a room like that as well! LOL

RetroPie is a frontend to Linux based console emulators. RetroPie is designed specifically to work on the 3 versions of Raspberry Pi.

You grab the latest sd card image from the retropie site and image it to your choosen SD card ( i’d suggest 32gb micro-sd class10 as a minimum). The linux/retropie image will take up about 4gb.

You need to download your roms and copy them to the storage on your Raspberry Pi (MicroSD card)

You need a keyboard and a gamepad and potentially a mouse if you are looking to play some of the MSDOS and Amiga titles!

The roms are easy to get hold of (list below) as with regards to legality well you may have noticed on my other posts that I own lots of retro hardware and have lots of software to go with it. Arguably so long as you are only emulating the games you already own then you are doing nothing wrong. There are people on ebay selling pre-configured Pi’s with all the games you’d ever want pre-installed! Somehow they don’t get in trouble, or at least I assume they are not!

The other point is that for some titles either the copyright has expired and in some instances some publishers have actually consented for their titles to be in the public domain!

If you are interested in playing here are some helpful links:

RetroPie blog site with download section: http://blog.petrockblock.com/2016/03/02/retropie-3-6-is-released/

How to install: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/First-Installation#controller-configurations

Roms: http://www.emuparadise.me/Complete_ROM_Sets_%28Full_Sets_in_One_File%29_ROMs/37 & http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/misc/full-rom-sets/

An install guide: http://www.trustedreviews.com/how-tos/how-to-build-a-raspberry-pi-retro-gaming-centre

Of course if anyone does get one and needs help, I am around to ask 🙂

Thanks for the all the info Chris, that does indeed sound all very interesting. 🙂

osmc + retropie = retrosmc, this script installs flawlessly retropie on top of an existing osmc install. Best of both worlds…

Profile Photo

Maybe if the wife leaves me I will have a room like that as well!

Build a room like that and the wife WILL leave you! 😉
Nice post Chris.
I’ve been toying with the same idea myself.
Thx! 🙂

Maybe if the wife leaves me I will have a room like that as well!

Build a room like that and the wife WILL leave you! ?<br>
Nice post Chris.<br>
I’ve been toying with the same idea myself.<br>
Thx! :-)

Good man will be interested to see/hear about your results 🙂

Profile Photo

What do i need for raspberry? when i wanna run plex media on it :3 its cheaper than a good mediaplayer XD

What do i need for raspberry? when i wanna run plex media on it :3 its cheaper than a good mediaplayer XD

As server or client?

Profile Photo

As server or client?

Client 🙂 needs to stream atleast 1080p 30GB movies xD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.