Squad Leading Tactics and stuff

Forums Games Battlefield 4 Squad Leading Tactics and stuff

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Profile Photo

Squad Leading Tactics and stuff

Just wanted to ask what sort of tactics do you guys prefer running when SLing?
My prefered tactic is sort of harrasing the opposition, getting two of their closeset flags and trying to see how much punishment we can take before falling back.
Makes me happy when I see that we’ve got 2 enemy vehicles on the objective with us as that in my mind gives the rest of the team a huge advantage due to lack of armor enemies have for those few minutes.
Oh, also, Infantry FTW!

Reply To: Squad Leading Tactics and stuff

My tactic is adapt to the situation:

• Harassing on of their close flag is something I usually want to do when we are loosing a lot of flags to force the enemy to go back a little and let the rest of the team get back the flags.
  • When the team had more than half of the flags and is ahead with the tickets, my orders are to defend the flag they are likely going to attack next. Same situation, but we are far behind, I would try to get all flags except one (to give them a fair chance). This usually only works when the team is capable of defending some of the flags.
  • In all linear maps (e.g. locker) I would usually try to hold not adjacent flags to provide a spawn point for the team. Only keeping adjacent flags your own side of the map usually leads to getting overrun by the enemy.
  • Reply To: Squad Leading Tactics and stuff

1. Check is there a sexy @sheppy in opposite team
    2. Press J
    3. Write “!lead sheppy
    4. Profit?

Profile Photo

This is a good topic 😀 I wrote a small guide some time ago. Copy-pasted it here:

Now everyone is different when it comes to squadleading and playing Battleflield. Some people love to run-and-gun, constantly going for a new objective to farm more and more points. Others like to hang out on a important objective and create a defensive perimeter.

I always thought that Karl was quite the aggressive type with a lot of communications. When you are in his squad, you are in for a wild ride, but his squad works very good together and tight, because of the constant communication between squadleader -> squadmembers. Myself I’m a bit of mixed type, and sometimes depends on the map and what I feel like doing, when squadleading. I love the run and gun style of Lockers (which alot of you hate), but I also adore the defensive SOFLAM squad on Paracel – those are two straight opposite ways to play Battlefield, and both of them can feel very rewarding.

Squadleading is not important – we just need orders? Nein!

This is one of the biggest mistake that people tend to do when thinking about squadleading. It is one of the most important pieces on the Battlefield and it boosts the experience you get from playing in a squad to whole new level.

Firstly and most importantly the squadleader is a mobile spawnpoint for your squad. His survivability is key for the whole squad experience. Having a constant mobile spawnpoint near the objective is important for your squadmembers. Having a squadleader that constantly dies can be very frustrating for the squadmembers. You can see this from two perspectives, you get more points, when you spawn on the squadleader and do stuff near him and the objective – stuff like squad revive, squad ammo etc. etc. etc. There is also the more important one, where the squad simply works together in a closer perimeter from each other.

Squadleading is also a new way to play Battlefield. Some people love being squadmates, and just do what people request them to do. And others love squadleading, because you have to think differently and make valuable decisions.

Last but not least – we need squadleaders to recruit or to make people enjoy our server and our way of playing the game.

So what type am I?
    That depends on a lot of things. But this is something you need to figure out yourself.

My best advice is to do, what you feel is most comfortable with. You like playing Battlefield slow and tactical, then start sending out defensive orders to your squad. Tell them to begin with, that you will go front-flag and try to hold for as long as possible.

Also just stay alive as long as you can – near the objective – learn how to avoid stuff like armor or too many enemies. Pick the fights that you think, that you can win!

But I’m lost on the Battlefield, what should I do?

The big map is your best friend. Get use to pressing “M” and look on the map for hotspots (a lot of red dots) and friendly squads (blue stars).

The more you use the big map, the better you will be at maintaining the tactical situations for the squad. The map is also a great tool to spot flankers and spot incoming armor/aircraft.

Another good advice is – HAVE SOME PATIENCE – you don’t have to make an order in 1-2 seconds. The more time you use on your decision the better it will be. This also requires patience from your squadmembers, tell them to hold spawn – hopefully they will anyway spawn on you.

I’m not much of talker, but I still like squadleading?

You can still be a good squadleader despite not being vocal. The most important thing for you, in my opinion, is to be that valuable spawnpoint. Stay alive, wait for your squad, hide if possible, and go for the objective.

You could even squadlead a bunch of public players if you simply stay alive near the objective. People will naturally spawn on something that it close to a enemy objective fx.

Sometimes the most non-vocal players can be some of the best one to play with, that goes for squadleaders or squadmembers. For example, I personally like to play with a guy like Dahane, who is not active on VOIP.

What class should I be?

It depends on the situation mostly. But you are pretty save as a medic or a recon with a beacon. As a medic you can heal yourself or your teammates, keeping that spawnpoint alive, right. If you have problems with a hot area, or you want to be sure that you keep a spawn near the objective, then bring a beacon.

There is of course always more advanced ways to do this, and some people prefer being other classes. But being a medic or recon with a beacon can never go completely wrong.

What orders makes the most sense? Sometimes you don’t have to attack!

Remember, maintaining flag lead is the most important thing to get a win. If you have 4 flags and enemy have 3, then you will make the enemy team bleed tickets. Eventually granting you the win (also the bleed in BF4 is insane fast compared to other Battlefields).

So take a look sometimes on the bottom left screen, and look at how many flags you have. Do you need to go for another flag?

In worst circumstances you will lose more flags than gain, if you constantly run-cap-run-cap. Defense wins, in my opinion, most games.

Another good advice is – GO WHERE NO ONE IS – we’ve all seen comment “where is my team?” in chat, and this mostly relates to the syndrom, where the whole team follows each other, not bothering with other flags, then the ones that are “safe” (where you most likely won’t die, because you have 20 teammates).
    So do something that a public player won’t due, attack a flag, that the enemy won’t expect you to attack. The usual behavior of constantly going C/D on Zavod, is one of the things, that sometimes feels a bit funny, because I’ve seen teams win plenty of times, simply not bothered by C and D, but taking the backflags, while keeping the frontflags intact. Enemy team loses, because the team simply follows the safety of being too closed together.

Don’t get pulled off by bad squadmates!

The hardest thing to swallow is to accept that you simply have bad squadplayers in your squad. What I’ve often experienced is that you need a lot of patience in BF4 (which I sometimes do not have, hehe).

But sometimes you need to live with what you have. Squadleading a public squad can be hard, but also the most rewarding thing in the world. I’ve often enjoyed it more, when I get the squadplay from people I do not expect it from.

Profile Photo

I agree with what Remi wrote. I would just add one thing: Be simple when you give order. No one will listen you if you say something else than ” push there” or “defend”. I tried a lot some simple orders like ” regroup on my position”, ” wait to be 5 before pushing on the flag” or “flank them by the north” and results were terrible.

Profile Photo

Yeah, it’s hard to make specific orders, when we can’t make a order-marker from commo-rose or on the map like in 2142 or BF2. 🙁

Profile Photo

If you want to try some different kinds of leading, join S7 squads, their gameplay is less nervous more based on defense and holding position. very different of our very basic push push push and kill’em all.

Profile Photo

Lol but don´t join my squad. I´m pro at finding the enemy and killing my squad :). Maybe stick to Ark or Medic

Lol but don´t join my squad. I´m pro at finding the enemy and killing my squad :). Maybe stick to Ark or Medic

I usually find the same enemies, because i go for or defend the ones that no one thinks of. 🙂

Profile Photo

If you want to try some different kinds of leading, join S7 squads, their gameplay is less nervous more based on defense and holding position. very different of our very basic push push push and kill’em all.

That depends on who you’re talking about 😛
    I’m in S7 and I got ARKs and Elvoys nerves to blow up with attacking play 😛

Profile Photo

When I wrote those words, I just finished 2 games with Elvoy and Ark. I was so frustaded when Elvoy asked me to not kill 2 guys turning their back to me at 20 meters. but in a tactical point of view he was right and it allowed us to cap a back flag and hold it for a while. In those round we all the time stayed at one flag even if we haf nothing to do for couple of minutes. Very great games.

Profile Photo

When I wrote those words, I just finished 2 games with Elvoy and Ark. I was so frustaded when Elvoy asked me to not kill 2 guys turning their back to me at 20 meters. but in a tactical point of view he was right and it allowed us to cap a back flag and hold it for a while. In those round we all the time stayed at one flag even if we haf nothing to do for couple of minutes. Very great games.

Yes, those were good games yesterday. I am glad you enjoyed yourself, Mccollish.

Some good stuff that has been written here. I personally like to go for the 2 front flags, sometimes the 2 home flags (in both cases if the two flags are close together), I don’t like staying near the center on most maps but it all depends how the round is playing out and what the other squads are doing. Always avoid having to many players/squads on one flag.

I grew a lot more defensive since the early days (which is a bit strange for my run and gun playstyle). I don’t see any point in wandering of to another flag if it isn’t close. In the time you get there someone is already stealing your flag were you used to be.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.