Windows 10

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
Profile Photo

Reply To: Windows 10

Just install Win10, W7 and W10 have less differences between each other than different Linux distros.

Profile Photo

Its probably not a bad idea. They will stop the free upgrade eventually so you’d want to get in before that – but I dont know whether upgrading to Win10 invalidates your Win7 key. Would be worth double checking before you take the plunge.

I’d recommend an upgrade too. As far as i know Upgrading does invalidate your win7 license but you have one month time to downgrade again. You may check on that to be sure – was at least the case when I upgrade some time ago.

Profile Photo

I did my upgrade and it seems to work well. But 1 question:
Microsoft ceated a device ID right? Will we get a real product key as soon as win 10 isn’t for free anymore? Because PC upgrades and stuff 😀

Well that really depends on the license of the original windows install. If it was OEM it is tied to the hardware and you can’t transfer the license from one computer to another (but that was the case with the original install already anyway)

If upgraded from a retail version you should be able to transfer it a new hardware, however it seems that this is handled by customer service and it seems people will not get a product key. (That article is from last year but could not find anything that this would have been changed)

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

How to regain free version of Windows 10 after changing computer hardware

Its probably not a bad idea. They will stop the free upgrade eventually so you’d want to get in before that – but I dont know whether upgrading to Win10 invalidates your Win7 key. Would be worth double checking before you take the plunge.

I will definitely do that! It is probably the easiest if I ask Microsoft directly.

I got myself a new SSD (a Samsung 850 Evo with 500Gb) and a second Windows 7 Pro licence (these are pretty cheap at the moment). I installed the Windows 10 Pro on the new SSD (you can do a clean install now and just activate with the Windows 7 key). Now I have exactly what I wanted, both Windows 7 and Windows 10 installed, I can just change the boot priority and use whichever OS I want.

I did run into some issues though. Some program or something managed to lock my Windows 10 SSD (without me doing anything), which made the SSD unbootable and no recovery possible. I suspect it was “Intel Rapid Storage Technology”, because people had similar issues with the this program, I think the program deserves the title “Software Fail of the Day”. Also just after installing it, all the problems started. I ended up just formatting and reinstalling Windows 10, I didn’t have anything installed yet, so that worked pretty quickly.

Now you might be wondering why would you go through so much trouble and not just update to Windows 10. I have to say I quite like Windows 7 the way it is. All my programs run without any issues and also I do not have any compatibility issues with some of the older programs and games.

Profile Photo

Win7 is still as good as it is.. even Win8.1 is still good, I mean you can say all you want about 8.1 but never had an issue with 8.1. However, Win10 is nice now that they had fixed most of the things anyway.

@Tigerfliege Nice solution actually, but remember to turn off Update seeding(Microsoft’s update-bot-network) and auto-restart after update, at least 😉

@samzlx Yeah, I turned off every data harvesting settings I could find as well as other questionable “services” 😉

Just a quick heads up. If you are looking to upgrade in the future it is only free up until 27th july 2016.

@samzlx Update seeding default is to only seed inside your local network :V As I have 3 computers with Win10 it’s pretty useful.

I am happy to report that on my Windows 10 install, Battlefield 4 runs a bit smoother: On Windows 7 I get between 100 – 120fps, on Windows 10 I get between 115 – 130 fps. A big improvement for “just changing the OS” 🙂

It’s because:
1. Windows 10 uses new driver model WDDM 2.0 which reduces graphical overhead etc.
2. Windows 10 kernel is much lighter than that of Win7/8 because they removed lots of things that remembered DOS times.

Btw: Now desktop is hardware accelerated (in Windows 7 it was 100% software rendering).

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.